American Red Cross Classes
The Mount Pleasant Recreation Department has offered a wide range of American Red Cross certification classes since 1992.
For information visit www.redcross.org or for local information. All materials for American Red Cross can be purchased at www.shopstaywell.com or downloaded from www.redcross.org.
American Red Cross Lifeguard Training
This course teaches individuals advanced rescue skills, how to prevent aquatic emergencies and the proper conduct expected of a professional lifeguard. Trainees must pass skills tests for certification. Attendance is mandatory at all sessions. Course Prerequisites (will be tested during the first class).
- 15 years or older complete 300 yd swim using front crawl and breaststroke.
- Recover and swim 25 yards with 10-lb. object. (goggles may not be used in this event)
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only legs.
- April Classes: 4/2-4/4 at 10 am to 4 pm and 4/14, 4/21, and 4/28 at 11 am to 5 pm
- June Classes: 6/9, 6/16, and 6/23 at 11 am to 5 pm
- July Classes: 7/14, 7/21, and 7/28 at 11 am to 5 pm
- Register online here
Water Safety InstructorBecome American Red Cross certified to teach swim lessons. Must be 16 year of age and able to swim at least 25 yards of front crawl, back crawl, breaststroke, butterfly and able to dive. This class is designed to serve a variety of purposes including providing stroke technique, improving teaching skills and developing lesson plans. For materials visit www.shopstaywell.com.
- Min. 5 Max. 10
- Materials: Water Safety Instructor Candidate Kit. $52.00
- Course Prerequisites:
- 16 years of age or older
- Successfully complete the online orientation session
- Successfully complete pre-course test and swimming skills.
- $150 resident/ $180 non-resident