Park West Boulevard at Stockdale Street Improvement
The project consists of developing intersection alternatives to improve traffic flow and enhance safety at the intersection of Park West Boulevard and Stockdale Street. The proposed improvement alternatives may include intersection signalization, additional turn lanes, and new roadway/access connections, or potentially a conversion of the intersection to a roundabout. In addition, the feasibility of realignment of Thomas Cario Boulevard to the improved intersection is being reviewed to improve school congestion during peak hour traffic.
The project will continue the sidewalk from Salterbeck Street to the existing sidewalk on the north side of Park Avenue Boulevard.
Traffic analysis and concept design began in November 2018 and is complete. Staff met with Charleston County School District officials regarding coordination of school traffic at this location. A public meeting was held on Thursday, October 3, 2019 from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm, at the Park West Recreation Facility. Staff presented the preferred alternative from the meetings outcome to Transportation Committee and was directed to proceed with the design of Alternative 1 (Roundabout Intersection). Design is partially funded and is currently at the 30% plan phase. Construction for this project is currently unfunded.
October 3, 2019 Public Information Meeting Materials
- Project Information Handout (10/2/19)
- Alternative 1 (10/2/19)
- Alternative 2 (10/2/19)
- Comment Form (10/2/19)
- Traffic Analysis and Conceptual Design: Completed March 2019
- Design: TBD (partially funded)
- Construction: TBD (partially funded)
- Public Information Meeting Notice (9/22/19)
- Evaluation of Resident Proposed Roundabouts (8/14/19)
- Design Concepts for the Park West Boulevard and Stockdale Drive Intersection (3/19)
- Park West Boulevard and Stockdale Street Traffic Study (3/19)
- Concept Study; $52,684
- Design: $393,269 (partially funded)
- Total; $4,383,262
Daniel Williamson, Project Manager
- Ph: (843) 856-3080